Claiming for Injuries on a Winter Thrill Seeking Holiday

Winter sports, such as skiing and snowboarding, are high-risk, and because participants are aware of the risk of accidents and injuries, most take extra care when on the slopes. With many people opting for holidays abroad in the winter months, extreme sports are becoming a part and parcel of the majority of holiday packages offered by travel agents. Even though many such holiday packages end on a good note, any injury abroad in a skiing accident can ruin your holiday and may even cause you some permanent, long-term damage.

It is worth noting that even if you were on a winter thrill-seeking holiday abroad and got injured, you may still be able to make a claim. Taking out a travel insurance policy before you leave is essential, but a standard policy might not be sufficient. A lot of travel insurance policies don’t cover extreme or winter sports so you’ll have to read the small print to ensure your activities will definitely be covered.

If you are injured while abroad, it’s very important to contact your insurer and also talk to a specialist solicitor who has experience in that particular area.

Having an accident whilst abroad

If you are abroad on holiday at the time of the accident, a personal injury solicitor in the UK will be able to deal with the claim against the holiday company concerned – as long as your holiday was booked as part of specific package deal through a travel agent who is in the UK. Your solicitor will aim to prove that the accident was the fault of either the travel agent or their representative such as hotel staff, ski instructor, a snowboarder or even a fellow skier.

A good and experienced solicitor will assist you in getting hold of all the documents and relevant information you may require, so as to allow you to lodge a claim in UK courts on your return. A good team will also work towards maximising the compensation you receive and will ensure you get immediate treatment for your injuries – so why not contact our team today?

But I didn’t book a package – can I still claim?

Even if you have made accommodation and travel arrangements on your own, without using a travel or tour agent, it is still advisable to contact a solicitor. A solicitor that specialises in this area will be able to provide you with some legal advice on the best course of action.

Safeguarding through insurance

If you know that you will be participating in potentially dangerous sports such as skiing or snowboarding, it is advisable to get special cover for the activities you’ll be taking part in. In most instances such sports are usually not covered in the normal holiday package deal.

It should be noted that even if the sports activities are covered in your package, if you take part in other dangerous activities or excursions organised by another operator, then the travel agent may not be found liable and you may not be able to make a claim. Irrespective of the situation though, it is always a good idea to contact your solicitor immediately after an accident occurs, so you get advised accordingly,

What can you claim?

An injury is bound to cause you lots of pain and discomfort. It may also have a major effect on the quality of your life and could therefore significantly affect your lifestyle. You may also be forced to take some time off work due to the injury or even get some outpatient treatment such as physiotherapy. You can claim for loss of earnings and for the inconvenience, as well as compensation for the injury itself. The amount you will receive will depend entirely on the severity of the case.

Share Button

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.