What If I’m Partly to Blame For My Accident?

Many people feel that there is no point pursuing a claim for compensation if they believe that the blame lies partially or completely with them for their accident or injury. This is particularly common for cases involving accidents at work.

In the circumstance of an accident occurring at work, your employer is bound by a duty of law to protect you from sustaining an injury once you enter their employment. This protection is still in place even if you or a colleague are partly to blame for the accident that occurred. If this is the case, then we advise that you still pursue a claim rather than abandoning it completely.

If the blame for the accident is split between yourself and another party, it may be argued that you were Contributory Negligent. The compensation you are awarded may be reduced as a way of taking into account any contribution you may have had towards the accident. The amount deducted will depend on the facts, complexity and circumstances of your case.

Contributory negligence will be decided as a percentage, for example, if you are 20% to blame, the other party will be 80% to blame. The compensation you receive will be reduced by the percentage you were considered to be negligent e.g. if you were awarded £2,000 and were 20% at fault, £400 would be deducted from your total.

The area of Contributory Negligence is a complex one and, without proper guidance from a legal professional, the compensation you are entitled to could be significantly reduced.

So if you believe that you had had an accident that may have even been partially your fault, call one of our team members today on 0845 456 4007 to discuss your claim today.

Share Button

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.