When a fatal accident happens to someone you love, it is very likely that amid all your shock, sadness and distress, you won’t have even considered making a compensation claim.
However, often when a loved one is lost it can alter their family’s lives forever not only emotionally but also financially, especially if it is the main breadwinner who has passed away.
If this is the case then our accident claim solicitors can help you claim what you are legally entitled to.
As with all personal injury compensation claims, if you are making a claim on behalf of somebody that has been involved in a fatal accident, you will need to prove that somebody else was responsible for the death as a result of negligence. If nobody was at fault, there cannot be a claim.
Personal injury compensation awarded to a family on behalf of a deceased relative can include an amount for the pain and suffering of the deceased, repayment of actual losses such as funeral expenses and a bereavement award for the deceased’s spouse or parents.
There are two parts to a compensation claim for a fatal accident:
- The victim’s claim for any physical and emotional pain, incapacity or distress they may have suffered. If the death was instant, there can be no claim.
- The dependent’s claim a dependent can claim for loss of financial support from someone who suffered a fatal accident as the result of another’s negligence or wrong act of another person.
Who is able to claim compensation?
The following dependents are able to make a claim in the case of a fatal accident:
- Husband or wife
- Former husband or former wife
- Cohabiters living as husband and wife for at least two years
- Parent or guardian
- Child or person treated as a child
- Brother, sister, aunt, uncle or child of brother, sister, aunt, uncle
Fatal injury compensation claims can be complicated but we have the experience and expertise to guide you through the process.
Call us for a free legal assessment and a personal injury solicitor can tell you whether you have a valid compensation claim.
We will ensure that you obtain the maximum level of compensation for your claim, to help you rebuild your life again.