Express Solicitors Limited is a law firm operating in the UK offering professional legal services to individuals looking to claim compensation in respect of injury or illness and any related losses.
Through the conduct of our activities we collect and share data relating to various individuals either in relation to claims or in respect of business to business relations.
In respect of your personal data, Express Solicitors Limited acts as a Data Controller within the definition of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (GDPR).
This Privacy Notice explains what personal data Express Solicitors Limited may collect from you or about you, how that information is collected and processed and for what purpose and the lawful basis on which the processing of your personal data is conducted. This notice also explains your rights in respect of any of your personal data being processed by Express Solicitors.
This Privacy Notice is intended to cover third party individuals whose data is collected through the course of our activities but who is neither our client nor the defendant in a claim. For such individuals we may only have limited data and the data held will vary significantly varying on the class of the individual data subject.
Express Solicitors Limited’s registered address is Resolution House, 319 Palatine Road, Northenden, Manchester, M22 4HH. Telephone: 0161 904 4660. Email: email@example.com
Express Solicitors Limited is a Private Limited Company registered in England and Wales, registration number 08458462. Express Solicitors Limited is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, SRA number 612741.
You can contact our Data Protection Officer by writing to the above registered address or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
What personal data do we process?
The following represents the most common classes of data we collect indirectly:
- Name, Address and contact information including email address;
- Voice data;
- Image data;
- Occupational data including professional status and qualifications;
- Bank details where case related payments are required or you provide a service to us in and individual capacity.
There may be additional information we collect relating to you however we will only collect information that we feel is necessary for the purposes identified below.
We may collect information directly from you and from third parties in the course of our activities.
What do we use your data for?
Your personal data is collected and processed for the following purposes:
- Information collected and processed as part of a claim will be on the basis that it is in the legitimate interests of the Claimant to pursue a legal claim under English law.
- Information collected and processed in the conduct of business to business activities will be on the basis that there is either a contract in place between us or we are preparing to enter into a contract with your business.
- CCTV footage of our business premises on the basis that it is in our legitimate interests to protect the security of our staff and equipment and for the purposes of crime prevention and investigation.
Sources of your personal data
In addition to personal data that you provide to us directly, we may also collect information from third parties.
It is not possible to identify all specific third parties in advance however the following are the categories of third parties we most commonly collect or receive information from:
- Companies that conduct marketing activities on behalf of Express Solicitors Limited either directly or as part of a collective marketing arrangement between Solicitors firms;
- Any other third party that has introduced you to Express Solicitors Limited;
- Claimants, their insurers and representatives;
- Defendants, their insurers and representatives;
- Publicly available sources including Social Media services;
- Witnesses including Expert Witnesses and agents in the provision of Expert Witness reports.
Where we request specific information from third parties, it will only ever be information we feel is necessary for the conduct of our professional and commercial activities.
Sharing your personal data
The following are common recipients or categories of recipients that we may share your data with:
- Third party defendants and their legal representatives and insurers;
- HM Courts & Tribunals Service;
- The Motor Insurers Bureau including their administered services Claims Portal, askMID and askCUE;
- Medico Legal experts and Medical Reporting Organisations;
- Witnesses and Expert Witnesses;
- Document collection service providers;
- The Compensation Recovery Unit;
- Regulatory bodies and Ombudsmen;
- Banks for payment processing purposes
- The Police and other public authorities where a legal obligation exists.
There are also organisations who will have access to your data due to the services they provide to Express Solicitors Limited such as IT support companies, email and phone service providers and external auditors. While we may not actively share your specific data with these firms we will ensure that when providing access to any data systems, the security of that data is considered and protected at all times.
Sharing your data outside the European Union
We do not anticipate having to share your data outside of the European Union however it may be necessary in certain circumstances.
In the event that a transfer of your data outside of the EU is required, we will check whether the country or international organisation has been deemed as adequate for the transfer of data by the European Commission (EC). The finding of adequacy means that the recipient of the data is governed by a data protection framework offering adequate protection of your personal data.
In the absence of an adequacy decision relating to the destination country or organisation, we will transfer your data only on the basis of and to the extent that it is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
How long will we keep your data?
Our standard retention policy is 10 years from the date we close our file. If the claimant is under 18 at the time we close our file then we will retain the data for 10 years from the claimant’s 18th birthday.
For data unrelated to claims the retention period will depend on the nature of the data being processed. You can ask for more information about how long your data will be stored and the criteria used if it is not being processed for claim related purposes.
Your personal data rights
In respect of your personal data being processed by Express Solicitors Limited:
- You have the right to ask us what personal data we are processing about you and request access to or copies of that information.
- You have the right to request that your personal data which is inaccurate, or incomplete is rectified.
- You have the right to request that your personal data is deleted however we may have the right to continue processing your data in certain circumstances.
- You have the right to request that your data is given to you in a format that can be used by another controller and where possible that this is sent directly to the other controller by us. For the purposes of this Privacy Notice this only relates to data being processed on the basis of a contract.
- You have the right to object to the processing of your data where the grounds we rely upon are our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party. Upon receiving an expression of objection, we will review the grounds for processing and respond accordingly. Where we are processing for direct marketing purposes you have the right to object at any time and we will cease processing for such purposes where an objection is received.
- You have the right not to be subject to automated decision-making processes including profiling however Express Solicitors Limited does not employ any automated decision-making processes.
- You have the right to restrict the processing of your personal data:
- where the accuracy is contested while this is investigated;
- where the processing is unlawful, but you do not want the data to be deleted;
- where we no longer need to process the data, but you would like us to store it without further processing for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims;
- where you have objected to the processing and we are processing for our legitimate interests while it is established if our interests override your rights.
We will respond to your request in relation to any of the above rights within one month of us receiving your request unless there is likely to be a delay providing the information or response in which case we will notify you within one month of receiving the request. There will be no fee payable for us to provide you with the information requested unless the request is for duplicate copies of documents previously provided to you or we feel the request is manifestly unfounded or excessive. If a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive we may refuse to provide the data rather than charging a fee. Where a fee is charged it will reflect the administrative costs involved in providing you with the information.
We may require identification from you for security purposes before providing any information or acting on requests. Where this is required we will notify you within one month of receipt of your request.
Where you make a request to us electronically we will endeavour to respond electronically. If you would prefer not to receive the information electronically you should request this.
If we are unable to comply with your request, we will inform you within one month of receipt of your request providing the reasons and advising you of your options to escalate the matter further.
All requests in relation to the above should be addressed to our Data Protection Officer, Laura Edgeley, by email to email@example.com or in writing to: Data Protection Officer, Express Solicitors, Resolution House, 319 Palatine Road, Northenden, Manchester, M22 4HH.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office who regulate Data Protection compliance in the UK if you are not satisfied with any response provided by Express Solicitors Limited in relation to the exercise of your rights under the relevant English Data Protection law.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice will be reviewed and revised in line with further developments in data protection law.
This document was revised 14th March 2019.