Express Solicitors is a highly regarded firm of claimant personal injury lawyers. We are looking for a talented and dynamic Finance Assistant to join our Finance Department. Working closely with the Financial Director, Finance Manager and Finance Supervisor, you will be an important team member. The ideal candidate will be someone who has demonstrable experience of working in a busy, high volume Finance Department and will understand the mechanics of sales and purchase ledgers. Additionally applicants must be confident with IT and have advanced Excel skills. The candidates must be able to work self-sufficiently on an independent basis although you will be based within a small and friendly team.
- 8:30am-5:00pm Monday-Friday (or variation thereof)
- 20 days holiday per annum, plus bank holidays, rising by one day each year to a maximum of 23 days. In addition, the office is closed between Christmas and New Year, and you do not need to use your holiday entitlement for this period.
- Private medical healthcare after 2 years of employment.
You will be acting as a key processor of accounting transactions for our highly automated sister business Ontime Reports Ltd. However you may at times be asked to assist with Express Solicitors accounts matters. You will be working on your own initiative as well as acting as part of a wider team: Posting accounts transactions and journal entries, reconciling control accounts, ensuring filing is kept up to date on a daily basis, distributing reports as required and any other ad-hoc duties.
- The administration of the sales ledger – posting sales invoices, cash receipts and the preparation of customer account reconciliations
- The administration of the purchase ledger – posting purchase ledger invoices, payments and the preparation of supplier account reconciliations
- Taking cheques to the bank to pay in on a daily basis
- The processing of bank transfers
- Preparation of BACS and cheque payments
- Preparation of bank reconciliations
- Ad hoc financial and management reporting as required
- Assisting with preparation for annual accounts
- Dealing with financial paperwork and filing
- Liaising with On Time Reports staff in relation to accounting queries
- Assisting Express Solicitors Finance staff on an ad hoc basis
- Other duties as may be required by the firm
- Related qualification (e.g. AAT) or degree an advantage
- GCSE Maths and English Grade C or above (or international equivalent)
- Knowledge of Sage 50 Accounts Professional or similar accounting package
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Experience of working in a highly computerised accounting environment
- Sound experience in sales ledger
- Sound experience in purchase ledger
- Sound experience in cashbook
- Proficiency in doing bank re-conciliations, both manual and automated
- Confidence and ability to communicate at senior levels and to liaise with all parties, both internal and external
- Strong sense of responsibility
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Willing and able attitude
- Understanding of double entry bookkeeping
- Understanding of the principles of VAT
- Full clean driving licence
In return you will be offered a competitive basic salary (£16,000 – £18,000 DOE).
To apply please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our employees are our most important asset and it’s our employees who have made Express Solicitors the success it is today. Our recruitment process consolidates that success.
At Express Solicitors, we rate skill and ability above all else and therefore our recruitment policy encourages applications from all.